CVT transmission fluid is a vital part of the car. It is used to keep gears and different parts running smoothly. In an automatic transmission system, many moving parts can wear out with time. You must change your transmission fluid every three to five years if you want your vehicle to function at an optimal level.
If you are looking for the best CVT transmission fluid, you have come to the right place. This article will introduce to you 7 products that are highly recommended for this purpose.
Best CVT Transmission Fluid Review
Now, let’s get down to reviewing the best CVT fluid available in the market.
1. Castrol – 15B652-6PK CVT Transmission Fluid
Castrol CVT fluid is one of the best CVT transmission fluids on the market. It produces wear protection products that are designed to keep engines running smoothly and efficiently. Therefore, their product is of high quality and trustworthy.
This red transmission oil can withstand extreme pressure due to its multi-functional molybdenum disulfide. It is perfect for both manual and automatic shifting transmissions.
The best part is that you can be use in Nissan CVT transmission and many other makes and models. It doesn’t matter if your car is a Honda, Mazda, or Subaru. You can use this castrol transmax universal fluid on any vehicle that uses a CVT transmission.
Furthermore, this CVT oil is environmentally friendly as it does not contain glycol ethers or other hazardous compounds.
- It can be used with auto or manual transmissions alike.
- It does not contain glycol ether or any other hazardous chemicals.
- The fluid offers excellent frictional durability.
- It can withstand extreme pressure and maintain stability.
- It ensures the gears run smoothly and have optimal lubrication for an extended period.
- It keeps the transmission in proper working condition.
- This cvt oil prevents premature wear and tear of gears.
- It improves vehicles performance.
- Best-suited for transmissions with a high mileage.
- It is a little pricey.
2. Nissan Genuine OEM CVT-3 Transmission Fluid
The Nissan CVT transmission fluid is a perfect fit for most Nissan cars, including the KA24DE engine. This oil is ISO certified and contains a special additive named PAO.
This CVT-3 transmission fluid also has high wet clutch durability, so your transmission runs smoothly without any hiccups. It is pretty lightweight, so it doesn’t increase the weight of your nissan vehicles or damage its parts.
One significant benefit of this Nissan ns 2 trans fluid is reducing friction and giving you low noise while driving. It also features anti-foaming properties that delay condensation formation in the fluid system, keeping it clean.
The best part is, it’s an UNLEADED product which means you can be sure about your car’s safety.
- It has a unique additive named PAO for environmental protection.
- One of the products’ significant benefits is reduced noise while driving.
- Its wet clutch durability ensures better performance and lower noise.
- It is made of lightweight oil, so it doesn’t increase vehicle weight.
- Prevents premature wear and tear of gears and helps maintain optimal lubrication.
- Reduces friction and gives you low noise while driving.
- Compatible with a new car.
- Prevents condensation in transmission system.
- It is lightweight and contains no lead.
- Some customers complain about decreased oil pressure.
3. Idemitsu Transmission Fluid for Nissan
Idemitsu CVT transmission oil is a perfect fit for most models of Nissan cars. It has been tested and certified by Nissan, and it meets all their requirements.
The cvt transmission fluids are made of high-quality additives, PAO base oils and other unique compounds that add durability to the vehicle’s parts.
This CVT transmission oil provides high viscosity, which means it can keep your car’s gears in good condition for a long time. It features special anti-foaming agents that reduce noise while driving and prevent any premature wear of parts.
The best part about this CVT transmission fluid is its compatibility with cars manufactured after 2000. It can be used on any Nissan car and enhances its performance on hot weather.
- Its high viscosity keeps the gears in good condition for more extended periods.
- This transmission oil reduces friction, making the gears run smoothly and giving you low noise while driving.
- Advanced anti-wear properties of this transmission oil help maintain optimal lubrication.
- It is easy to apply and comes with a special nozzle for accurate spilling.
- Extreme anti-shudder performance gives you a smooth ride.
- Cost-effective option for your Nissan car
- It reduces noise and vibration while driving.
- It is lightweight and compatible with new cars.
- The additive reduces friction between gears.
- It is not recommended for 1998 or earlier models of Nissan cars.
4. Genuine Toyota CVT Fluid
This Toyota Genuine OEM CVT Fluid is a top-quality product that has been tested and certified by the company. It comes at a very affordable price, so it’s an excellent choice for those who want to save some cash without compromising their car’s performance.
The oil is ISO-certified, and it contains special additives that keep your car’s gears in excellent condition. It has less viscosity than other transmission oils, which means it reduces friction and increases fuel economy.
This universal cvt fluids don’t contain any silicones and other toxic compounds that make it safe for your car’s engine, ensure longer transmission life and the environment.
Toyota CVT transmission fluid is compatible with cars manufactured after 2001 so it can be used on any Toyota model, including Sienna, Highlander, Sequoia, Tundra, Corolla, Prius, Matrix and more.
- It is made of special materials that increase durability and performance.
- This CVT transmission fluid also reduces noise and vibration while driving.
- It helps maintain optimal lubrication and prevent premature wear in gearboxes.
- The additive reduces metal-to-metal contact between gears and makes the car run smoothly.
- It is easy to use, and you only need 5 gals for a complete oil change.
- Its advanced properties enhance the vehicle’s performance.
- One of the cheapest options.
- It has a high viscosity.
- Compatibility with Toyota cars made after 2001.
- The container is not ergonomic, so it may be hard to use in some situations.
5. Genuine Honda CVT-1 Fluid
Honda Genuine OEM CVT Fluid is ideal for Honda cars that have CVT or FWD transmissions. It can be used on most Honda-made models, including Accord, Odyssey, Jazz Fit, and Acura RDX. If you want to check if it is compatible with your vehicle, just look up the owner’s manual.
This CVT fluid Honda is made of high-quality materials that increase its durability and performance. The formula used by Honda makes the car run smoothly and it can reduce noise when you are riding on bumpy surfaces or in cold weather.
A special additive used by Honda reduces metal-to-metal contact and wear in the gears. It also keeps your car’s transmission system clean and rust-free.
Honda CVT fluid features a high viscosity index which means it provides optimum lubrication to automatic transmissions and different components of your Honda vehicles.
- It is made of high-quality materials and provides optimal lubrication.
- It reduces metal to metal contact and prevents the wear of parts.
- This Honda transmission fluid also reduces engine noise when driving on rough surfaces.
- The additive prevents rust and corrosion by removing harmful substances such as dust, dirt or sand particles inside the gears.
- It gives your car better fluidity in cold temperatures.
- The container is ergonomic and easy to use.
- The formula used increases the lubrication of your car.
- It has an anti-rust additive.
- Very Cheap.
- It does not provide a high viscosity index.
6. Valvoline CVT Full Synthetic Transmission Fluid
This full synthetic CVT transmission fluid comes at a low price and it can be used in any car with front-wheel or four-wheel drive, including Nissan, Infiniti, Toyota, Acura, Honda, Lexus, and others.
Valvoline transmission fluid is made of a special formula that prevents rust and corrosion and it reduces the wear and tear of cvt transmissions gears. It also has a high viscosity index which means it can function at low temperatures and keep your engine oil clean for a more extended period.
This CVT transmission fluid can be mixed with other fluids, so you don’t have to buy a new one every time.
Valvoline cvt fluid has the same weight as conventional automatic transmission fluid, and it is compatible with most car models manufactured since 1998.
- It is a fully synthetic fluid with a high viscosity index.
- It prevents rust and corrosion.
- Reduces wear and prolongs the life of transmissions.
- Keeping engine oil clean for longer periods.
- Additives prevent metal-to-metal contact and reduce friction between moving parts.
- It is very cheap.
- Long-lasting fluid without hassles.
- Suitable for all FWD and 4WD transmissions.
- It reduces the wear and tear of gears.
- It does not feature STP CVT fluid additives.
7. Nissan Genuine OEM CVT-2 Transmission Fluid
Nissan Genuine OEM CVT Fluid is a high-quality product that can be used to maintain your Nissan’s transmission system or other FWD/4WD transmissions. The nissan cvt fluid will also prolong the life of other vital parts such as gears and bearings. Just follow the CVT fluid change interval to get better performance.
Your car will run smoothly and avoid noise on bumpy roads with this Nissan fluid. This continuously variable transmission fluid is made of a high-quality formula that prevents wear and tear inside your vehicle.
One of the best features this Nissan transmission fluid has is its ability to function well in cold weather conditions and its low temperature fluidity.
Even if you live in a place that frequently gets below zero temperatures, your car will still drive smoothly on bumpy roads.
- Highly compatible with Nissan models manufactured.
- It prevents rust, corrosion, and metal-to-metal contact inside of your car.
- It can be mixed with other fluids without compromising its performance.
- The fluid can handle low temperatures very well, which is suitable for users who live in colder regions.
- The bottle comes with a cap-off design so you can add the fluid when needed.
- The design of the bottle is easy to use.
- The product is very cheap.
- It does not have a strong odor that can ruin your car’s paint.
- It is made of OEM materials.
- The unit capacity is deficient compared to other transmission fluids available in the market today.
Buying Guide for CVT Transmission Fluid
Let’s say you have a car with front-wheel drive and you want to buy a suitable transmission fluid that will help enhance your car’s performance. Then, ensure you remember these key things:
Type of Fluid
The first thing you should consider when buying transmission fluid for your car is the type. There are 3 common types of transmission fluids;
CVT specific Fluid
This type of transmission fluid is rare to find. It has additives that are specific to CVTs like Nissan Genuine Parts, Honda Fluids and others. These types of fluids are perfect for vehicles that use this kind of transmission system exclusively.
OEM Transmission Fluid
This fluid is specifically made for cars that need to use liquids with a high viscosity index. It is highly compatible, and it provides optimal protection to the transmission system of your vehicle.
Universal Transmission Fluid
If your car uses a different type of transmission system, it might be challenging to find CVT-specific fluid to buy universal transmission fluid. This kind of fluid is very cheap and widely available in automobile shops today. Just like OEM transmission fluids, this kind of fluid has the same viscosity index as conventional fluids.
Compatibility with Your Car Model
Before choosing the best CVT transmission fluid for your car, always consider the compatibility of fluids with your car model. Some vehicles can use different types of fluid without hassle.
Whether you have a Nissan, Ford, or Honda car, they are compatible with the three types of transmission fluids mentioned above.
However, some cars have a limit in using the correct type of transmission fluid for it. It is best to check your car’s manual before buying a transmission fluid, or you can also ask professional mechanics about the compatible fluids with your car model.
Another crucial thing to consider when choosing the best transmission fluid for your car is the price. Although it is not always about low-priced products, you should consider this factor carefully because you need good value for your money.
It is best to buy a high-quality product that can last longer than other CVC fluids sold in the market today. Some brands can be purchased at a very affordable price but offer better quality than other brands sold for higher prices.
Lastly, the quantity of the product is also significant. Before buying transmission fluid, always check how much fluid you will get per bottle for easier comparison.
Car models with different capacities are available in the market today, so it would be more convenient to buy a larger quantity that can last longer than small units with limited uses.
Another factor that you should consider is the performance of the transmission fluid. The fluids should be able to provide optimal protection without compromising the car’s performance.
Some brands are sold in the market today that can last for a long time but have adverse effects on your car’s machine. Always buy high-quality products from reputable manufacturers to ensure that you purchase a safe and effective transmission fluid for your vehicle.
Protection against wear and tear is also another thing you should look for when choosing the best transmission fluid.
You need a product with chemical agents that can prevent wear and tear in your car’s system. Some transmission fluids have a low viscosity index, so it would be better to buy products with a high Viscosity Index.
1. Are All CVT Fluids the Same?
No, not all CVT Fluids are the same. We have mentioned earlier about different types of fluid with different properties. However, you must also consider which kind of transmission oil is best for your car because some models cannot be used in choosing the best fluid.
2. Can I Use Automatic Transmission Fluid in a CVT Transmission?
No, it is not recommended to use automatic transmission fluid in a CVT transmission. It has a lower viscosity index compared to CVT fluid, so there is a risk of failure when using this type of fluid.
3. What Color Is CVT Fluid?
The most common color for CVT fluid is red. However, it can differ depending on the manufacturer and type of fluid you installed in your car. Some people say that CVT fluid is pink, but it actually has a dark red hue than automatic transmission oil.
4. Is ATF and CVT Fluid the Same?
No, ATF fluid is not the same as CVT fluid. It has a hydraulic property, while CVT fluid is mainly used for automatic transmission in cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles.
5. What Happens If You Don’t Change CVT Fluid?
If you don’t change the CVT fluid in your car, it is highly possible to destroy your transmission. You may also get burnt transmission fluid smell. It can also cause abrasion of gears which leads to loss of power delivery and efficiency of the car’s machine.
6. How Often Should You Change a CVT Transmission Fluid?
It is highly recommended that you should change the fluid every 25,000 miles. However, it can depend on your driving condition and use of the car. If you drive your vehicle under severe conditions, such as driving over rough terrains or hills often, it would be better to change the fluid every 12,000 miles. You should also know the cvt fluid changing time and procedure.
From our point of view, Castrol CVT transmission fluid is the best choice for your car. This brand has a high viscosity index, which can provide optimal protection against wear and tear.
It is compatible with almost all types of cars so you don’t have to worry about compatibility issues when using this product.
Still, the choice is yours! You can check other options and choose the best CVT transmission fluid for your car.